anyone with overarching power or authority in given domain
In feudalism, an overlord was a lord having authority over other lords. The ruler of all rulers. Any one with over arching power or authoritarianism, or absolute power.
Overlord may also refer to:
In military history:
- Overlord (comics), a comic-book supervillain created by Erik Larsen
- Overlord (Transformers), a Transformers character
- Overlord (species), a non-human species in the book Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
- "Invasion of the Capital" / "Over Lord", an episode of the TV series RahXephon with an operation named after the Battle of Normandy.
- Dark Lord (also known as "Evil Overlord"), in fiction, a powerful villain with evil henchmen
- In the Disgaea games, Anime, and manga, an Overlord is a demon in charge of a netherworld of its own.
In video gaming:
- Overlord (1990 computer game) (called Supremacy in Europe), a 1990 strategy computer game
- Overlord (1993 video game), a strategy game for the NES, port of the 1990 computer game
- Overlord (1994 video game), a World War II flight simulator for the Amiga and PC by Rowan Software.
- Overlord (2007 video game), an action/adventure game for the PC, PS3 (2008), and Xbox 360
- A type of hero in the computer game Heroes III
- The name of Act 5—Quest 1 in the computer game Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
- Overlord, an airborne Zerg breed used for battle co-ordination and transport the StarCraft science-fiction series.
- The name of a Chinese tank in the game Command & Conquer: Generals
- A common name for the ruler of Freeport, Lucan D'Lere in EverQuest 2
- The name of one of the character classes in the computer game Lineage II
- The monstrous high commander of the aliens of the Moon Station in the episode called "Lunar Apocalypse" in PC game Duke Nukem 3d
overlord in German: Overlord
overlord in French: Overlord
overlord in Polish: Overlord
overlord in Russian: Overlord
anointed king, boss, bwana, chef, chief, chieftain, church dignitary, crowned head, dynast, ecclesiarch, elder, emperor, employer, goodman, grand duke, guru, high chief, husband, imperator, king, king-emperor, kinglet, liege, liege lord, lord, lord paramount, majesty, master, monarch, padrone, paramount, paterfamilias, patriarch, patron, petty king, potentate, prince, prince consort, rabbi, royal, royal personage, royalty, ruler, sahib, seigneur, seignior, sovereign, starets, suzerain, teacher, tetrarch